Saturday, May 17, 2008

Tinker Bell...

Let me introduce you to Tinky. May be you've met her or maybe you haven't. If you have, you most likely grew to love her. I have had Tinky since I was 16 years old. She has always been such a sweetheart. She literally is the perfect cat...soooo loveable, so sweet and all she wanted was to cuddle and eat. Yes...she was a fat cat. The most she ever weighed was 21 lbs. But I finally got her on a diet many years ago and she lost weight. She never weighed less than 17 lbs.

A little over a week ago, I took her to the vet because she wasn't herself. She stopped eating, lost alot of weight and just became really lethargic. They told me she had a heart murmur and was in chronic kidney failure. It was either try treatment or put her to sleep.

I started treatment with her last Friday, which included fluid injections with her at home on top of medication. After home treatments and several days at the vet being treated, Tinky did not improve enough, and had gotten worse in other areas because her kidneys shut down. After all of this treatment and talking with my vet it was time to let her go. It was hard. I even had 2nd thoughts when I brought her to the vet on Thursday to say goodbye. But in the end, I held her as she went to sleep, and held onto her for about another 10 more minutes, rocking her, kissing her head and crying and talking to her.

This experience has been trying, exhausting, sad and hard. I have had Tinky since I was 16 years old and she is my baby. I love her very much and I will miss her dearly. She is the sweetest thing and is the biggest cuddle bug! I just wanted to share this with you.

Tinky's favorite position :-)

3 comments:

Dawntoya and Adam said...

Oh Niki, I am so sorry!!! You had her for so long:( That must be hard:(

Sum said...

aww, I'm so sorry about Tinky. losing pets is hard, I still think of my first dog as I held her as I said goodbye. so sorry. :((

The Taylors said...

Aw I'm sorry!!! I am a total cat lover...I know how hard that is. :(