Saturday, February 23, 2008


So our little Sadie ate a dead rat yesterday. Yep...a rat. Gross I know. It was bigger than a mouse and not full grown so the vet thinks it was a baby rat. Our apartments are right next to a large field so we get those little suckers sometimes (not IN the aptartments, just on the grounds).

Anyway, she got it in her mouth and took off because she knew she wasn't allowed to have it. Our little one can definitely be defiant sometimes. Because she knew she was in trouble, she swallowed that thing whole! Crazy dog. I learned that rodents carry a nasty bacteria that cause kidney and liver failure so I immediattely had to take her to the vet. There's also the danger of rat poison in the rat.

So Sadie got her little tummy pumped. Well...they induced vomiting. How do you induce vomiting in a dog? I'm glas you asked...they put this medication in her eye and let it work! I've never heard of that either.
When the vet finally called me, he said..." was definitely a rat, and it definitely came out...all intact in one piece!" He said it shot out and almost hit one of his technicians in the face! Ha ha! He said it was pretty gross but also funny.

But she's doing great now, and hopefully she's learned from this little experience! I hope I din't ruin anyone's breakfast, lunch or dinner ;-)


Anonymous said...

That is so funny! We need to have a play date with Sadie and Emmy without the rats! I can't believe how big Sadie is. It has been so long. I miss you! Oh yeah, I love the page and the pics.
--Brooke Myers

Dawntoya and Adam said...

Very funny and such a fun title:) I didnt know you had Sadie! What a pretty dog. You still have our little feline friends? So glad you have this blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I laughed out loud at your Ratatouille story. How stinkn' funny.

Emily <><